Friday, January 18, 2013

My American Girl Doesn't Want an American Girl...

If you can't take the heat today, get outta this blogspot...

My sweet little princess, my glamour girl diaper diva, is all about Pokemon, Power Rangers and of course, Lions. Oh and setting traps of different sorts. She has almost caused me to break my ankle more than once.

Look y'all, we tried.
Okay? We tried painting her room pink and this and that, but she just craves animalistic adventure. She does.


Every now and then she will adorn herself with jewels and a pretty dress-up frock, but then the inner lion comes out and she's rigged up some ropes/trap/Katniss device in a corner somewhere. That's just her style.

Can I be honest that I was trying to downplay this? Why? Because I listened to others. A whole host of others- not like mental, schizophreniac others- but you know the ones.

"Oh I don't let my kids have anything to do with Pokemon! It's satanic at best!"

"Oh don't you just love princesses and all things pink!?"

or: "AMERICAN GIRL DOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!" 
Which I have secretly longed for ever since they were introduced to me in the library of my private school circa first grade.
 Oh Molly. Can we just talk about Molly for a second?

With your brown hair just like mine.
You even have a vision impairment. I need you Molly. I have no friends. I just hang out under a tree and have said too many weird things. Kids make fun of me, but you can't talk so we could totally make this work...

I say all that because I get the craze. John doesn't. But I do.
And now crap, Leelah doesn't.

Sure, she's got one of the mini-dolls. One guess which one?
Kaya. That's right. The only one that could get away with a concealed weapon.
Would she enjoy and be thrilled if we got one for her? Oh sure! For about 4.75 hours.

 Then it's $100+ dollars under the bed.

And it's not fun when I hear and fear even the dark, inner me:
"Please don't let her be weird like you were."

Oh my gourdness. Stop it.
There's been a reckoning. A slow realization that my child is not like everyone elses and neither is their child or children. And for someone that is all about different, as in not the same, you'd think I wouldn't need this awakening. But yeah, apparently I did.

Thoughts on Monogramming or "Mommogramming":
It's been simmering for a while, but it really happened when we went to some major-minor event here in Katy. I realized I had this underlying fretting that Leelah should be wearing a shirt that had a monogram of her name and whatever we were celebrating/doing on it. You know some kind of commemorative piece I guess?

And I emotionally slapped myself to and thought: "JUST GO HAVE FUN AND DON'T CARE WHAT YOU PUT HER IN? HOW EMBARRASSING YOU WERE EVEN THINKING THAT!!!??? THINK OF THE CHILDREN THAT HAVE NO CLOTHES!!!! HOW SAD AM I???"

Hey, I'm not anti-monogram!! I think they are precious. Leelah has loved those shirts in the past. And I'm not judging all commemorative moms out there. They are only young once, right?

I'm glad to be letting go of what others think and not putting that on my kid.
AGAIN- NOTHING AGAINST MONOGRAMMING, AMERICAN GIRLS, ETC.

Just saying that I'm learning to sacrifice style for savoring the moment instead. Some moms can do both. You are better than me. There.

All you moms with bento boxes, organized to perfection rooms- I'm working on a command center and it's taking my weeks!!!!!!
I concede! You win! No, really, y'all are awesome.

Can we be real moms together?
This is so not directed to any one mom out there. I love all moms! It's more directed to the moms like me that live out of clean clothes still in a laundry basket for 2 months and only have 1 kid.

Yeah, you gals. You know you wanted Molly too as a kid.
 Or Samantha.


Not Kirsten.


She was too unattainably perfect and reminds you of girls that hate you but are loved by everyone else. You know I'm right.

I'm talking to all the moms that were like me and were lucky to get their bday party at a roller rink or McD's. AND WE LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding? We skated until we cramped while they played Ghostbusters and turned off the lights and we went nuts!!!!

Can we just keep it real together and raise real kids that can handle disappointment?

Wow, I don't know where I'm going with this, and I apologize if you are still reading this.

But I do know that us moms gotta stick together: the Mommogrammers and the Laundry Basketiers.
Don't you dare hate on other moms, and always show grace and love, okay? It's what Molly would do. I'm pretty sure about that...



1 comment:

thebell said...

Well said. Thank you!!