Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Spetaphorically Meaking

I'm trying my hand at metaphors today. 

For the past couple of days I have lost my focus. Wait, I rarely have real, honest to goodness focus on account of the ol' eyeball sitch; what I'm really talking about is my mental scope being off.

Lately, I've received some opposition on my life course. Some of it has been blatant, so easy to trip over. Like a huge buffalo that just upped and got in my path. Kind of like that chick that totally walked in my lane during my 8th grade year when I was just starting to get the hang of hurdles and I saw her, freaked out, and fell onto the next hurdle. Durhhhya!!!!

The huge buffalo situation was handled with prayer and once my hands stopped shaking, a prayed-over email. The non-hurdle sitch was handled with hurt pride and me never ever hurdling again.

And I've had some other unexpected race stoppers.
The other type of opposition really, really took me off the track.
 It was like stopping to smell a beautiful bunch of flowers and taking a look at them up close- i.e. lose focus on the course ahead. And then outta those gorgeous bulbs comes OUCH a bee to sting the crud outta my hand. And this bee I didn't even throw a fry at! (I'm looking at your fourth grade memory...)

I mean they were flowers. I thought I had a chance to enjoy and a moment to relish. Nope. The enjoyment was supposed to come from tortoiseing the trail and maintaining a steady pace.

Does anyone relate to this?

I mean, I'm all about smelling the roses when a major life tragedy has happened and God gives me a time out.

But apparently this was  not the time to lose focus.

And look when it comes to personality types, I'm as Sanguine as you can get- confused? Read The Treasure Tree by Dr. John Trent.
It means, I look for the fun/positive/happyhappyjoyjoy time in everything. I kind of forgot where I was going with that. See! Those future sentences weren't fun enough for me to pay attention!

How do I run? I just keep my focus on God. Not on trying to please man, thing, person's schedule, kid's schedule. If I keep my focus on him by prayer and reading His Word, then I will inevitably please the ones He puts in my path. And probably anger my hecklers. But who cares?

What is at the finish line? For me Heaven, closeness with Jesus. A completed earth-job. And Kingdom business.

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.." - Hebrews 12:1

No comments: