Friday, October 7, 2011

Frugalicious Fridays No. 7!


We got another Frugalista in the Hizzouse!!
Her name is Jenna, check out her blog go ahead, I will wait.....
and her fam (spoiler alert: they're precious). Her book reviews make me love books even more, which I didn't think was possible.
We met at aTm WHOOP! Well, she is a friend of a friend that became a friend. Love it when that happens! Jenna is a mommy to 3, with no. 4 cutie coming soon in December! Jenna and The Kevs (I just took major liberty in calling him that and now feel a bit sheepish about it!!) are to put it simply: cool folks. They are living life in a frugal fashion and I'm blessed to know them. Another fun fact about Jenna, they took the 3 kiddos to Disneyworld and she walked the parks in a leg cast/brace thingy. NO EXCUSES!!! Bow down to her mom-hood! So glad to have you contribute and preach on sister!:


So Gillian, this one is for you - there's about to be 3 (little) girls in the Grubbs Household, and if they follow in their mother's footsteps, that's going to equal a lot of clogged drains and hairy hairbrushes. I cringed a little bit (or a lot) when I watched Kennedy's first haircut in the "salon" and had to pay $25 for it. Yikes! So, we took the haircutting scissors we bought to use for Colby, and Kevin cut straight across.

Before:


After:


Such a great job! I estimate he cut about 4 inches off, which has really made a difference because now Kennedy is able to brush through her own hair without so many tangles.

We already cut Colby's hair with our own set of $40 clippers, which Kevin bought 10 years ago in college. And Kevin cuts his own hair too.

All in all, let's say:
Kevin's haircut = 3x/month = 3 x 12= 36 x $15 per haircut = $540 per year
Colby's haircut = 1x/month = 1 x 12 = 12 x $10 per haircut = $120 per year
Kennedy's haircut = not per month, but ~6x/year = 6 x $25 per haircut = $150 per year

That is a total savings of $810. I can really get excited about that.

What are your secrets to saving money? I hope to be posting more tips in future Fridays, and I'd love to link your frugal tips.

2 comments:

Savvy said...

John please don't hate me. World, we use dog clippers!!! AHHHHHHH!!! Yes. I use dog clippers on John's hair. I don't know how old they are. They belong to John and I pray did not belong to a pet before him. Judge me as you will!

Ashley S. said...

First, your comment is great about the dog clippers.
Second, I LOVE that you and Jenna are such good friends now.
Third, calling him Kevs is better than what I call him... Shmev. (as in Kevin Shmevin... I've called him that since college whenever she had things to do with him instead of me.)