Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Little Something Real Day Three...


Un-Brag Day 3: Real Clothing. Leelah picked out this shirt at, prepare yourself, Walmart!!! Gasp! And it has a quasi-character on it!!! Double gasp! AND I let her pick out this outfit AND wear it publicly- to church!! Now you're fanning yourself to keep from passing out I'm sure. But is it so bad to let your kid out in somethink you know will not gain you complements? I gotta be honest, I struggled with this!

Background information:
I LOVE to dress up. I LOVE expressing my personality through clothes. I might be all sci-fi and guy movies, but I love me some rhinestones, costume jewelry (and James Avery!) and frills. But that's me. It's not my kid. As much as I try to make it be, she's a casual tshirt girl. Now, I do think we should adhere to looking our best when place and time calls for it, but I also think this is the only time we get to be kids*.
Again, not trying to preach as I am insufficient in wisdom impartation. But a couple weeks back God spoke to my heart during our Bible Study class (Thanks Mindee!) in this verse from the Message translation:
"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds." Matthew 6:25-26

And hey, no judgment in regards to how you want to dress your kid.
"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1.
** That only time we get to be kids is kind of untrue. John has a TMNT shirt he frequents on the weekends.

No comments: