Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Onward Christian Soldier...

You know how it goes. When you get all pity-party-where's-my-big-bag-o-doritos-at? Then you have to get a napkin for your tears... and extreme cheesestained-hand...

Or as I like to call it, "Monday".

I was complaining to the ol' husb the other night. Goin' on about this and that. Whining like a 29 1/2 yr old does sometimes... Here's my list of complaints to John, the long-sufferer:

- "But my eyes don't work!"
- "I'm parentless!"
- "I can't have any more kids!"
- "I want some queso!"

Here I was rattling off all these things, which John- God bless his soul- had NO possible way to relate to (well except for the queso-infatuation). Look, I don't enjoy complaining. People have it WAAAAAAAAAAAAY rougher than I. I know this. From my standpoint, all I see are women expecting, people that can see and drive anywhere they want, and people spending time with their parental units. So in those regards, I get down.

So I complained like a champ.
And then John who is, by the way, the wisest person I know laid it out for me in terms I can immediately employ.
"Gillian, you are not going to have all those things. You are right, it isn't fair. You won't have any of those events for yourself or parents (save my in-loves and I adore them!) to get you through your eye surgeries. You won't have a better past. Our daughter will. You must do all that for her. Maybe that's why God gave us a girl, so you can know how to be there for her and give her all the things to make her feel special that you didn't have. You are a soldier. You have to brave through your past and hard times for her, for Leelah."

Now I can do that.
The Lord will do that through me with His all-sufficient grace.

2 Timothy 2:3
Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.


As if John needed a bigger fan club. John, I love you.

By the way we're almost done reading So Long Insecurity, You've Been a Bad Friend to Us by Beth Moore. It's rockin' the house and I've been able to implement some tactics...

Praying and sending love to my fellow soldiers in Christ and those fighting for America today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Friend, love your honesty. Thanks for sharing your heart!