Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Reasons Why I Heart Downton Abbey

If you aren't down with the show, Downton Abbey, yet then you are missing out! If you are psycho like me and your convex television unit doesn't receive pbs or you do live in the 21st century but just haven't witnessed this perfect tv show then just click here and you'll be whisked away to 1912- WAIT, STOP! DON'T TYPE IN "MAC N' CHEESE n BACON RECIPE" ON YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH TOOLBAR- WAIT, I know I said 1912, but this show is SO GOOD!!!! I know I said PBS- AGAIN STOP LOOKING AT THE NEXT 50 DAYS OF WEATHER FOR YOUR TOWN- come back.

As I was saying before I had to talk you into staying and reading my pathetic list of reasons I heart the show....

1. The scenery. The setting was made for my daydreams. So picturesque. So different than the concrete jungle I reside in. SO GLAD someone screen shot this because I screen shot it in my brain with my photo brain. It's one of my favorite images from the show:

2. The Clothes!!!! Oh the necklines, the high waistedness, the touch of sparkle, the sweetness!!! Can we just go back to this, please??? Can we just burn all the bootyshorts in the world and return to this beauty?:



3. The Sisters & Their Secrets! I can't get over these sisters! Namely, Mary and Edith. If that's what it's like to have a sister, phew! Maybe my only child thing wasn't so bad??? They are a mess and I love it.

4. It's made me want to clean my house and care for my home better.

I love how the Granthams interact with their staff. Am I down with caste systems- heavens no! But the show's characters' interactions with each other are brilliant. I love how much pride Mr. Carson and Ms. Hughes have in their work. Kind of reminds me of Colossians 3:23
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,"
5. Maggie Smith.

I saw someone say this and I think it's so true: "Maggie Smith is a rock star!" She is full of quips that only she can get away with. She rocked as Prof. McGonagall in HP and she rocks in DA as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham. Go ahead on Maggie Smith!
6. I love the way the men in the movie fight for their country (with the exception of that wretched Thomas!). I love the spirit of a rally! I love the comaraderie of everyone pulling together to do what's right. This show seems to be all about upholding what is right. Well, except for a scandal or two...

7. The acting is spot on as the British would say, as is the writing. Really.

8. My most favorite thing about DA:
Mr. Bates & Anna's love.

I am a sci-fi/action kind of girl that doesn't have time for love stories, but I tell you what- their romance has made a believer out of me. No, I'm not going to go too far and rent the Notebook or read it, but oh my word. Beautiful. I just love the dignity in which he treats her and the compassion that she has for him. I yelled at the TV during the first season like a dude yelling at a football game when I thought things weren't going to work out for Mr. Bates' job. Oh how my heartstrings are pulled by him and his heart. Not in a hubba-hubba way, just the whole goodness of it all. Thank you PBS/Masterpiece/Downton Abbey for making a show all about goodness prevailing with a hint of "you don't say!" moments. You have stolen my heart!

2 comments:

Sweet T said...

LOVE IT!!! I second your Maggie Smith props. My fave was when she told Isobel Crawley, "Stick that in your pipe and smoke it." But in such a proper British way.

Tanya said...

I love Downton Abbey too! Here in the UK we are a season ahead, and I'll tell you right now...it only gets better!