Monday, January 30, 2012

Frugalicious Fri-onday!


Totally slacking on this segment and just embarrassed myself by using the word "segment" in regards to my blog. As if!

Anywhatsit, I'm sitting here waiting on the life insurance exam lady to come and make sure they want to pay up when I kick it. Oh, I kick it everyday, but you know I mean when I kick the bucket. Yep, we already talked about death and wills and all that jazz and I'm not going to go there. I am going to reverse it and talk about kids and getting them on the path, God willing, to financial freedom.

We want Leelah to grow up in a home that is not ruled by money and we want her to not fall prey to the love of money.
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.- 1 Tim. 6:10.

The LOVE of money, not money is the root of all evil.

Leelah has been digging qubo, Magic School Bus and all their informercials. She told me the other day, "Mommy, did you know that Tempurpedic mattresses have space cell technology? And that if you put a glass of wine on one side of the bed and jump on the other side it won't tip over?"
And then I asked her, "What's wine Leelah?"
Leelah: "Stuff that fancy people drink."
I was lazy and let that slide. It's true, it is fancy and was that a teaching moment on alcohol and the effects on your body- nope.
Digress!
So thanks to Qubo's commercials, she's all "I WANNA WUGGLE PEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!"
I don't see the magic of that toy. Kind of lame in my opinion and definitely not worth $20. And we've been wanting her to learn about being responsible, that things cost money, etc. etc. so now's our chance and I totally let that whole wine thing just slide, so I had to act.

Thus John and I are making our child earn her wuggle pet. We pay her $1 for every "above and beyond" chore. So far she has $6.

Here's a list of some Above and Beyond chores:
-vaccuuming the cars
-cleaning the windows in the car (they've got her grime prints on them anyway!)
-washing the car (can you determine the theme here?)
-helping rake and throwing away the leaves
-weeding the garden
-windexing other windows around the house
and my mind just went blank.

But you see it is not paying her to do stuff she should already do. We don't have an allowance for her, but we do employ the "Spend, Save, Give" principle. So we do give her money for church each weekend.
Here is a list of stuff she should do because she is a member of the family:
-help dust
-make her bed everyday
-help feed Boo, take her out, etc.
-help set the table
-sharpen the knives
-refill the lighting fluid on our blow torches
Last 2 are not real, do not call authorities.

If you pay them for doing stuff they are supposed to do anyway, they are going to go around saying, "I cleaned up my toys- WHERE'S MY MONEY!"

Now she is finally beginning to grasp why we can't go to D'world until we pay off our debt, which we have calculated using Dave Ramsey's Debt Snowball will be in approx. 21 months!

No comments: