Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Four Nichols Two Cents must be crazy!

Hey guess what? I need to change my blog title to the FOUR Nichols Two Cents! That's right! Our darling squishy has come home to be a part of our family and we love her oh so much!!!! She came home on March 5th and yeah, everything is awesome.

I can't go into details because this is a foster to adopt situation. But what I can say is:
-It's a girl!
-She is under 1 yrs!
-We love her oh so much!
-Her arms and legs look like drumsticks!!

And oh the questions!
People are so funny.
Believe it or not, the number one question we get is:
"Did you adopt from overseas??" We know several knock-your-flip-flops-off families that have and they are great. But hey, we were not called to do that. We know God could provide in a heartbeat financially and whatever need, but He led us to adopt through CPS.

Now, I know what you are thinking not that I believe in mind reading, but you are thinking that I am off my glider with this. Oh sure, you are simultaneously thinking oh wow, so glad she could give a little one who's in a hard place a loving home-
but I COULD NEVER DO THAT.

What that do you mean exactly?

"That" meaning:
- the dealing with CPS-
well we have a fantastic, loving, and highly knowledgeable Christian agency who works with CPS (for free mind you!). And yeah, we do have to have dealings with CPS, but you know what? I've only had positive interactions with them so far. It's not a perfect system of course and there are some changes I would make if asked, but it's what God is using to place our daughter forever with us, we pray. And it's just allows for more chances to meet people and God willing, be used as a witness for Him.
Plus, when God says to take heart for He has conquered the world- I'm pretty sure that included CPS and any other red tape or person or entity I can think of.
- the visitations-
 yeah those are no fun at all. What's a visitation you ask? It's where you take your foster child to meet with their birth family- or whoever is presumed or named to be in some cases...
It stinks like poop outta water (yeah I said it!).
We've only been to 2 so far. There are 2 a month. The Husband goes with. He better! And after last time, we just pray during it. So at least we get to have prayer time together. Also, we look at it as just another piece of the puzzle that we have to do to complete this part of the journey.
- the birth family issue-
We pray for them.
We pray for them to first receive salvation.
For them to see Jesus and repent and find the way.
We pray for them to see Jesus in us.
This is hard, but what else can we do?
- the hearings-
 Everyone said: "It's not like what you see on TV." WRONG. It is. For us, it is. And that's fine, I'm so used to drama and things being all whaaaaaat??? It doesn't bother me. We just get to have that "front lines" feeling and really see God in action. I'm telling you. You having a bad day? Go to a courtroom downtown and watch people's lives being ripped apart or put back together and then thank God for the "Oh this Chick-fil-a line is too long!" grief you have to endure. Not that I'm hating- those lines are too long! 
- the worst fact of all-
We are in complete control of nothing except for the love we readily give this adorable child. That's it. Things change constantly on her case. And yes, she can be taken away from us at the drop of a hat. This has been naturally a truth that has already pre-broke my very sensitive (I don't watch sad movies y'all) heart.
Until God told me this- Leelah the lion-lover, John my bff, and any number of peeps I adore could also be taken away from me in an instant. Yes.
And now my heart is reconciled.
It really helps to go there for me. To actually picture that happening- in a healthy way. I don't want to grieve in advance and cause joy theft here- but just get to that point where I ask myself, "And what would I do next?" Turn to God and let Him be enough.

And we have this precious 7 yr old who thinks way too much. Our wonderful agency told us what to tell her:
"You are going to have a sister! And I know you will be a wonderful big sister to her and show her lots of love. She is going to be your foster sister until she can be your forever sister. You don't need to worry about what that means- mommy and daddy are waiting on what God is going to do about that- all you have to do is give her forever love."
"Okay, I love her already!" She says.

And for now, we hold this piece of Heaven and laugh and play and praise God.

Should He decide His best for her is not with us, we will be so very sad. But like those brave 3 in Daniel said, "But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.”

To me that means, I am gonna praise God no matter what He has planned for her and us in this because I know it is better than anything I can dream up or imagine.

Thank you all for praying for our family.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

What an awesome post, so happy for you! Found you through Jen Evans but recognized your business name from some articles I've read that credited your photography. Anyway we are adopting overseas, and our short answer is always because God called us to Haiti, but the truth is I've had BAD experiences with CPS and just wasn't prepared to deal with them...two years ago when we started this. But now? I think I could deal with it. I love your perspective. We have our hands full at the moment but perhaps someday...